Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Forming the Right Side Inner Front Fener


I needed to make a form to allow me to transfer the shape of the radius of the inner left front fender to the inner right. I made a card board template of the left side...

...test fit it to the right side...

...then transfered the paper pattern to a piece of 3/4" plywoo.d that will become the form

While cleaning up the areas I'll be working on, I noticed some bondo repairs to the area around the fresh air intake.

So I straightened it up....
 ...aligned it...
 ...and welded in place.

Now I can get back to forming the lip. I clamp my form in place...
 

 ...and begin bending each tba over the form.
 

Once all of the tabs have been bent I weld them in place.
 

..and clen up the welds.
 I go back inside and finish weld the rest of the repair.
 

The lip has a small cut out in it. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but it must do something, so I make another pattern to transfer its shape & location to the right side.

Pattern in place...

..right side ready for primer!

 At this point I primer coated the repairs and after the primer dried test fit the front apron to the repair.

It fit beautifully!!

Another headache solved!!











No comments:

Post a Comment