Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Stripping the Paint from the Left Front Fender

While waiting for the rocker panel to show up I started stripping the left headlight bucket. That led to stripping the paint from the fender. There was an 1/8" thick coating of bondo all over the fender. Though there we some areas of surface rust there was no need for that thick a coating of bondo.






As you can see the fender is in pretty good shape...frankly I didn't expect it to be in this good of a condition.

Encouraged, I continued to strip paint...


.....and found the rot I'd been expecting...

....oh boy...

...well we'll figure it out...

Well, a little primer never hurt the thinking process...tomorrow's another day!














1 comment:

  1. Hi My name is Tom . Thanks for such concise photos and description of the rebuilding of your Ghia . I am in the process of doing my 71 Coupe. I have done the front area , removed the metal where the spare tire rests and welded it in place as best as I can.It looks good. My rockers are rusty but not as much as your car I think. I have not removed them yet ,but my car in better shape than most I believe. Anyway after seeing your drawing of the cross section of the heater channel inner and outer now I know what the parts are for sale in the parts stores online. Thanks again Tom H.

    ReplyDelete